Saturday 19 January 2008

Africa Vision 37


Africa Vision 37

January 19, 2008

World abundance.

For the second time in two weeks there has been a problem with leaks coming from my apartment. This time with a lot of noise the down stair neighbors threatened to have me chucked in jail for water drops spoiling their previous stock. So with un-Chadian speed we got two guys in to check the pipes and cement my kitchen floor again. For the last month I have been waiting for a qualified technician to replace the lock in the door. Alas! To no avail. The television in my living room is I use as an extra area to dump my clothes. I just wished these professional also did doors, satellite hook ups and even the purchasing of a laundry iron. Charcoal, the electrical ones tend to blow all the fuses.

Joshua Tree a corporate humanitarian with the frame of a defensive line backer decided to explore my kitchen last night. Given it was dark due to a power cut he never realized he entered a sinking pit of setting cement. It took two buffalos to pull out the foot size 10.5 hero of the night. He likes to talk at 200 miles about a host of topics and I like the Hulk. He and Jeremiah are friends who have come to Chad with Gabriel (but two days later) and there are in Africa for the first time. There idea is to help set up a secondary school in a refugee camp by the refugees themselves. One or the most important driving force for them is gratitude. Doing the things you love and finding/hiring the best of people possible that can do the things that you are not an expert. All you need to arrange is a minimum cash flow. Hearing from two guys who implemented gratitude in their business, who see Gandhi, Einstein, Galileo, Copernicus as inspiration parts of their life story was great.

Motto: live in the present. As if I heard myself talking. It was a pleasant surprise to hear that both of them do the same type of meditation (holosync, the Divine and the Immersion) as I do. It helps me focus a lot.

And focus was one of the revolving themes we discussed yesterday and I am sure we will re-enter the same discussion today. Clearly one can identify one thousand different needs in Chad of which a hundred may even be urgent. However to address an issue there can be maximum of impact by digging deep into one or limited topics.

We ended up in the Carnivore for dinner, jazz and some lighter discussion. I went home buzzed with ideas and challenged in positive way. What is the single most important thing in my life with which the maximum of impact to make the world a better place can be made?

Today I want to introduce them to Ruben my Chadian American friend working on English classes and an English library in the neighborhood of Moursale. Should bring in some nice dynamics to hear them talk about the different aspects of organizing educational. And I will take my friend Faizal as well. It is good to see others exchange vision and experience in organizing grass root humanitarian interventions.

It will be a pleasant afternoon I am sure. Twisting by the pool in the Meridian always is. My body yearns for a swim and my mind for sparkling debate. I cannot wait until the afternoon comes.

Namaskar

Ashis

1 comment:

duxiangjun 杜湘君 said...

Glad you found some like-minded people and some time to enjoy along the way. Even sunlight takes a break to give more:-)湘君