Monday 31 December 2007

Africa Vision 25


Africa Vision 25


N’Djamena, December 22, 2007

Eid and Christmas

The mighty wheels of the Chadian come to grinding halt for one week. After all in Chad both Christian and Muslim holidays are celebrated and this year it means the third week of December is one big festive season. Street vendors have added plastic Christmas trees, blow up dolls of Santa and even one or two Rudolph have been found to wander the streets freely.

At Id there is the sacrifice of the lamb. Before I managed to get to Faizal I was stuffed with intestine, liver, kidneys, brains and other special treats of the lamb. Being an honored guest there is no refusing. Most of the above organs are actually quite tasty. I just struggle with the rubbery consistency of the intestines. The mama of the Senegalese restaurant was complaining of her long existing pain in the knees. Resolutely I asked for a knife and offered to cut her legs. Every Tom, Dick and Harry has similar complaints or the ever-present acidity. My reply is pretty much always the same amputation for the first complaint, dietary restrictions for the second. If it does not help at least I will have scared them away.

The courtyard is becoming more and more like a little home. There are the friendly two brothers with whom I am becoming ever more close. Sipping tea and exercising my rusty Arabic and there are their 4 kids always jumping up when I come back or leave the house. The boy I use as a weight lifting exercise. As to his requests for gifts I always ask him for my own gifts. So far I am empty handed. But I hope my campaign will eventually lead to some major presents.

There is also a criminal element. Young unemployed elements looking for each and every opportunity to steal what ever is not looked after. After all this is the main street of N’Djamena and like anywhere in the world you will find pick pockets, dacoits and other bandicoots.

Then there is my neighbor Stephan a young engineer student from Cameroon with a very big interest in women. He is a nice guy when you manage to switch off the one- track mind. Also living on the court are doctor Polycarpe a former IRC colleague now at the United Nations Family Planning. Then there is one more family with 2 kids and then my Indian brothers Mr. Mooni and Mr. Bashir. The first is my Internet hero. As I am renowned worldwide for my technical prowess and my immense patience he must endure a lot. Mr. Bashir is the travel agent fixer and also the official document man. Which reminds me! I have a six-month working permit and also a travel permit for 2 months. Despite the holiday season all has come eventually. Is it true? Will I finally manage to feign some patience? Hmm let us wait and see.

Namaskar

Ashis

No comments: