Friday 30 November 2007

Africa Vision 11


Africa Vision 11

N’Djamena, November 28, 2007

Patience

I truly wish I could tell you more abut what is going on in the East of Chad. But there has been a complete blackout of news. All we notice in the capital here is the frequent condolence meetings of high-ranking Chadian officers. Also the military hospital seems to be quite full so surgical cases are being admitted in the civilian hospital as well. Yet during my visit of today of the General Referral Hospital I did not get the impression the wards are overflowing more than normal or that the surgeons are exhausted. What I saw were the normal procedures. Hospital staff lining up to get their monthly salary. Patient strolling in the garden with crutches. Family members cooking food in the yard. In other words business as usual.

What was special I managed to meet about 15 students from the 6th year. Those students I will be teaching starting in one to two weeks. I spent my evening behind the computer looking for good material online. Pictures and texts/articles in French so I will make less spelling mistakes. I got so much involved I even skipped my nightly outing to the Carnivore. There also there were signs of an ongoing war. The captain who lives next door to the club has died in Abeche and out of piety tonight there is no music at the Carnivore.

Paperwork in the main time is what I am waiting for. I would be so happy to be working in the hospital in Bebedja. But because of the idiots of Arc de Zoë every foreigner needs a travel permission to assure we will not kidnap children and have an appropriate reason to travel. Waiting has never been my strongest point and I truly hope tomorrow the papers will come so I can leave this weekend. The hospital in the South is an ideal place to understand the dynamics and the specific health problems in the South. I do hope to be able to interact with the health authorities in Doba. After all it is they who are responsible for distribution of medication and vaccines and it seems they are not doing their job. Through the dean of the medical faculty I will be getting in touch with the oil minister from the South. He himself comes from Bebedja and may be interested to do some work for the people in his area.

I meditate daily, I write; I chat with friends on line, try to network as much as possible still I feel I am in a state of semi slumber. I cannot wait any longer. My stethoscopes are itching. Well even fixing my blocked lavabo takes 10 days. It was a hilarious affair as the plumber came with his bare hands only and ended up fixing the plumbing with a plastic bag he found in a wastebasket. When I told him now I have a leak instead of a block he just grunted; said he was off to get a ladder and promised to come back. Well tomorrow another round of carrot and stick will be played. In the hope he will have some tools with him, a ladder and a clue as to what the hoot he is doing. I just find it bemusing. I was thinking about taking a photo of his great job but it is just too rancid. It has been said a cleaner will light up my existence from tomorrow. I can’t wait. Project one is the bathroom, then my bedroom, living room and finally the kitchen. Yes a kitchen, time to cook again! Namaskar

Ashis awaiting plumber in action

1 comment:

Rons said...

Ashis the pictures you take are just too beautiful. You could easily take up photography as your one of the other passions other than writing to name a few. Truly amazing. And its really interesting to go through your blog and feel as if one is actually present there. Your creativity shines through and hope things move a bit so you don't loose your patience. The meditation is your foundation so i'm sure it will all work out perfect. My best wishes are always with ya.
lots of love.